The (2K/8K) Run/Walk event will unite the community by ensuring those served by Home of Guiding Hands will continue to live a life of dignity, purpose and are not limited by what they cannot do, but enriched by what they can do. Funds raised at the event directly benefit Home of Guiding Hands’ current programs in San Diego County:
- Residential homes
- Community living
- Early childhood development
- Respite Services
- Life planning and more
Online registration is still open and effective up to race day and onsite. To participate in the event, please visit www.randyjonesrunwalk.org. Individuals, groups and families may come to the event the day of to register as well.
De Anza Cove Park – 3000 N. Mission Bay Drive, San Diego, Calif., 9210
** NOTE: Course starts and finishes at De Anza Cove.
WHEN: Saturday, Feb. 6, 2016 from 8 a.m. – 1 p.m.
BEST TIME TO COVER: 8 a.m. to 11 a.m.
RACE DAY SCHEDULE:
- 8 a.m. – 8K Run begins
- 9:30 a.m. – 2K Run/Walk begins
- 10:30 a.m. – Award Presentation / Closing Ceremony / Race Ends
- 11 a.m. – Meet & Greet with Randy Jones, Cy Young Award Winner and San Diego Padres’ Hall of Famer
- A festive and inspirational morning with participants and teams getting ready to celebrate and participate in the 6th Annual Randy Jones Run/Walk for Independence (2K/8K).
- A scenic run/walk event with family-friendly Fun Zone, including an inflatable obstacle course, children’s bounce house and a special closing ceremony to celebrate and congratulate event participants. During the closing ceremony, top finishers will receive medals from Randy Jones himself!
- Randy Jones, the event namesake and longtime supporter of the organization has volunteered with Home of Guiding Hands since the mid-70s. He can speak to why he supports the organization. Jones will host a special Meet & Greet where fans can have memorabilia signed as well as get their photo snapped with the sports legend and National League Cy Young Award Winner.
- Mark Klaus, president & CEO, Home of Guiding Hands is available to speak about the importance of the event as well as the organization’s impact in San Diego County.
- Compelling interviews with Home of Guiding Hands’ volunteers, supporters and event participants.
WHY IS THIS IMPORTANT:
- Home of Guiding Hands has been committed to providing marked community support, critical housing, and life skills training for people with intellectual and developmental disabilities in San Diego County since 1961.
- Home of Guiding Hands offers several life skills training programs to the local community, which requires more than 500,000 hours of direct service annually in the organization’s 31 residence homes alone.
- Home of Guiding Hands offers a multitude of services ranging from Early Start, Respite, Independent Living, Transportation, Counseling & Family Support, and Residential Services, to more than 1,500 adolescents and adults.
- Individuals with developmental and intellectual disabilities are an underfunded and underserved community in San Diego. When it comes to donations and funds needed, they are often times overlooked. To continue Home of Guiding Hands’ proactive work, critical funds and volunteer support are needed.
- In 2015, Home of Guiding Hands raised nearly $35,000 through the Randy Jones Run/Walk for Independence. This year, the organization aims to raise $40,000 through the event to support its services.