WHAT: Staff and volunteers of Serving Seniors will serve Thanksgiving meals full of holiday cheer for low-income San Diego seniors, who often celebrate the holidays without family. Volunteers will serve hundreds of seniors their meals and visit with them on a day that can be lonely for many.
Preparations for the meal service include a traditional Thanksgiving meal served on fine china, linens and centerpieces for the tables, as well as holiday music and entertainment.
WHERE: Serving Seniors, 1525 4th Avenue, San Diego (92101).
EXPECTED ATTENDANCE: Approximately 300 seniors
WHEN: Thursday, Nov. 27 from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. (Best time to cover.)
WHY: Did you know that 2 in 5 San Diego seniors have to choose between rent and food? For more than 44 years, Serving Seniors’ innovative solutions have helped San Diego seniors struggling with poverty and hunger, keeping them independent. Healthy seniors remain independent. Independent seniors are able to enjoy life, spend less time in the hospital and often don’t need long term care. With ongoing state and federal budget cuts, Serving Seniors bridges this growing financial gap for seniors and provides a safety net for seniors, who otherwise would have nowhere to turn.
MORE INFORMATION OR TO DONATE: http://www.servingseniors.org
INTERVIEWS & VISUALS:
- Hundreds of seniors enjoying the company of friends while receiving a nutritious Thanksgiving meal in a state of the art community center designed for the needs of seniors.
- Volunteers serving meals, coffee and desserts.
- Seniors sharing stories about the impact Serving Seniors has in their lives and how a meal with good friends helps to combat the holiday blues holiday.
- Volunteers represent a mix of families, service organizations and Serving Seniors board members can speak about why they volunteer, and the need to help throughout the year.
- Sheona Som, director of annual giving and external relations for Serving Seniors, can speak to the need and how people can help support seniors during the holidays and make financial donations.