WHAT: The fifth annual Kickin’ It Challenge soccer tournament brings San Diego and Southern California’s youth soccer teams together to battle against breast cancer starting on Saturday, June 18 through Sunday, June 19 at Frances Ryan Park in Escondido.
During the two-day soccer tournament, 2,000 youth soccer players on 120 teams decked out in pink will take the field in a “sea of pink” “Unite in the Fight” against breast cancer. The goal is to have fun while making a difference for San Diegans battling the disease.
One hundred percent of proceeds raised at these events will benefit Susan G. Komen San Diego (Komen San Diego). Over the last four years, Kickin’ It Challenge events have raised more than $150,000 for Komen San Diego, making it one of the organization’s largest third-party fundraisers.
WHERE: Frances Ryan Park
450 Hidden Trail Rd.
Escondido, Calif., 92027
NOTE: Please park in parking lot.
WHEN: Saturday, June 18, 2016 from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.
BEST TIME TO COVER: 8 a.m. to 10 a.m.
INTERVIEWS AND VISUALS:
- Approximately 2,000 youth soccer players on 120 teams will be decked out in festive and creative pink uniforms to participate in friendly soccer games over the course of the tournament and support the fight against breast cancer in San Diego.
- Laura Farmer Sherman, president & CEO, Susan G. Komen San Diego, can discuss the importance of collaborating with Kickin’ It Challenge and the organization’s impact on breast cancer in San Diego County. Laura is a breast cancer survivor.
- Pam Bickel, president, Kickin’ It Challenge, can discuss why the tournament was created and importance it has on the community.
WHY IS THIS IMPORTANT:
- In San Diego, six women a day are diagnosed with breast cancer and unfortunately one woman a day passes away from this disease. However we know if discovered early enough, the most common type of breast cancer has a nearly 99% survival rate. And that’s what our work at Susan G. Komen San Diego is all about.
- Komen San Diego continues to be the County’s largest funder of free breast cancer services and support and is the only organization providing qualified women the free services they need for every step of the breast cancer journey.
- These services include free diagnostic mammograms, life-saving screenings, temporary financial aid for living expenses, transportation, meal deliveries, education and more.
- Also, next to the U.S. government, Susan G. Komen is the largest funder of breast cancer research in the world. And much of that investment has been awarded right here in San Diego.