San Diego, CA (June 27, 2022) – As college-bound and post-secondary students prepare for the 2022 - 2023 school year, many are uncertain about how they will pay their tuition and school materials this school year. The nonprofit Allgire Foundation invites students (high school seniors or older) who have been affected by affordable housing in San Diego to apply for their scholarship program. These students may be college-bound, enrolled in a vocational/technical/certification training program, or seeking a GED or GED equivalency. The deadline is July 22, 2022. A full list of qualification criteria is on the Allgire Foundation website, www.allgirefoundation.org.
“We firmly believe that transforming lives begins with education,” says Scott Silber, executive director, of Allgire Foundation. “We work hard to find ways to enrich the lives of families facing economic hardship. Our scholarship program is designed to help people impacted by affordable housing have the same opportunities to achieve their goals in post-secondary educational institutions.”
This is the Allgire Foundation’s second round of scholarships for students this year. In the spring, $14,500 was awarded in scholarship funds to ten local applicants in aid of their educational pursuits. While most scholarships are generally awarded early on in the year, the Allgire Foundation’s new set of scholarships to be awarded next month can really make a difference in someone’s academic plans this fall. “This can be that last opportunity that someone may need to pay for school expenses that perhaps they’re having trouble finding the means to pay,” says Silber. “It is a great opportunity offered uniquely by the Allgire Foundation as the school year approaches for most students.”
Angel Mendoza of San Ysidro is one of the ten Spring 2022 scholarship recipients. “I was able to graduate with honors from San Diego City College and transfer to a University where I now am pursuing a Bachelor's of Science in Health Science. I believe coming from a low-income household influenced me to pursue higher education to improve my future. This scholarship will help me continue pursuing my dreams,” he said.
Students may apply to any of the following five scholarships offered by the Allgire Foundation now through their July 22, 2022 deadline:
- The Mary Ellen Grant Memorial Scholarship - Up to $10,000 per award. This scholarship is offered in memory of Mary Ellen Grant, mother to one of the Allgire Foundation’s founders, Mary Ann Allgire. It honors her positive spirit and legacy of kindness. This scholarship opportunity is for an applicant who has shown outstanding leadership and commitment to helping others.
- The Mary Lou Allgire Memorial Scholarship - Up to $10,000 per award. This scholarship is offered in memory of Mary Lou Allgire, a dedicated Children's Center teacher and administrator with San Diego Unified School District for over 15 years, and mother to Rick Allgire, one of the Allgire Foundation’s founders. It honors her commitment to education and bettering the lives of others. This scholarship opportunity is for an applicant who has shown an interest in a career in education and bettering the lives of others.
- The Mike Pavco Memorial Scholarship - Up to $7,500 per award. This scholarship is offered in memory of Michael Pavco, honoring his dedication and commitment to affordable housing, and helping others. This scholarship opportunity is for an applicant who has shown an interest in a career in government, public administration, or social work and helping the affordable housing community.
- The Allgire General Contractors' Scholarship - Up to $5,000 per award. This scholarship is offered because of Allgire General Contractors' commitment to education and developing the next generation of construction or STEM field leaders. This scholarship opportunity is for an applicant who plans to pursue a career in Construction or other STEM fields.
- Other At Large Scholarships - Up to $2,500 per award. The Allgire Foundation may award additional scholarships to applicants affected by affordable housing and who wish to pursue higher education, including: applicants currently living in, or who have lived in, affordable housing, applicants negatively impacted by COVID 19, applicants raised by single parents, applicants who are, or have been, homeless, in the foster care system, or applicants that have overcome hardships.
Students interested in applying for any of the scholarships are encouraged to do so by visiting www.allgirefoundation.org/scholarships
About Allgire Foundation
The Allgire Foundation is a 501(c) (3) nonprofit organization dedicated to empowering people who are impacted by the lack of affordable housing and transforming their lives by creating opportunities through advocacy, education and support programs that provide tangible help. Learn more at www.allgirefoundation.org.
About Allgire General Contractors
For over 30 years of leading industry experience, AGC has provided paramount quality in everything they build and has been dedicated to being the best multi-family contractor. AGC has established excellence in both new construction and renovation of existing projects, and their team is continually seeking to improve practices by providing innovative solutions to meet their clients’ ever-changing needs. Since its founding in 1988, Allgire General Contractors (AGC) has contributed to various causes and non-profit organizations, supporting children and youth, affordable housing, and education. Learn more at www.allgire.com.