Scatena Daniels is an award-winning, full-service PR firm of senior communications professionals who design and implement strategic campaigns to connect businesses and philanthropic organizations to their communities in meaningful ways.
Scatena Daniels is seeking a self-driven, entrepreneurial-minded, and talented Senior Account Executive to join our agency. This team member will be located in Southern California and will be responsible for managing multiple day-to-day client and agency requests focused on media relations, storytelling, writing, and client services. In addition, they will ensure media campaigns are executed flawlessly, creating content for social media, developing media lists and pitches, and working directly with media. An ideal candidate will also have experience creating and executing PR campaigns across digital platforms and look at every project/opportunity through a DEI lens.
Agency experience desired and excellent writing, communication (both written/oral) and organizational skills are a must. Must have solid media connections, specifically in the San Diego market and across Southern California, as well as know-how to quickly develop new connections for clients. Fluency in Spanish (speaking and writing) is a plus!
If you are a passionate storyteller with a deep curiosity for philanthropy and corporate companies doing good, this may be the role for you!
- Work in tandem with our team to manage day-to-day activities for clients in a variety of industries, but primarily philanthropy and corporate companies that do good. Once accustomed to our protocols and clients, the expectation would be that this position will be a primary lead on accounts.
- Write and develop media materials – press kits, press releases, media alerts, fact sheets, bios, case studies, and backgrounders.
- Develop and maintain relationships with influential members of the media to ensure placements.
- Create additional media tools (i.e., photos, images, videos) to support media pitching and enhance placement process.
- Secure placements and manage interview opportunities for broadcast, print, and online media outlets.
- Prepare clients for media interviews, internal communication opportunities, and public appearances.
- Develop strategic communication plans, including media opportunities, tactics, and timelines consistent with the overall PR strategy.
- Execute and advise on PR strategies and collaboratively develop strategic media plans.
- Build proactive pitch strategies for clients based on their industry, current trends, and various announcements.
- Monitor media and seek out speaking opportunities for clients as “experts in their field.”
- Daily client interaction to update, report on and discuss media relations.
- Participate in brainstorming sessions to develop strategic/creative thinking for clients.
- Research and share industry insights, shifts, and opportunities in the media landscape
- Tactical understanding and use of all primary social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, LinkedIn, etc.).
- Bring strategic digital media experience, as well as stay on top of the ever-evolving digital landscape (i.e., SEO, demographics, social media use, scheduling, message types, emerging social media networks, etc.).
- Negotiate and manage client expectations and satisfaction.
- Assist in the research, writing, and development of new business proposals and presentations.
- Boundless creativity. Desire to grow, learn, lead and thrive.
- Solutions-oriented, assists colleagues in problem solving and seeks input from colleagues in problem resolution.
- Customer management experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Journalism, Marketing, English or a related field is preferred. Or the equivalent knowledge and/or experience.
- 4 years of experience in integrated communications/PR, preferably in an agency setting and/or within an applicable industry.
- Minimum of 2 years of experience with corporate image, issues/crisis management, and strategic communications across multiple audience segments.
- Superb analytical, multitasking and organizational skills.
- Fearless approach to media relations with demonstrated capacity of working with local and national press to manage story development.
- Admirable judgement and problem-solving skills, and the ability to make strategic, sound recommendations to clients, peers and management.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment with competing deadlines.
- Excellent tactical writing skills, including press releases, pitch letters, media alerts, speeches, collateral copy, bylined articles, op-eds, presentations, case studies, digital content (i.e., social media posts), and client and/or internal emails.
- Working knowledge of AP-Style writing.
- Superb public speaking skills, especially for the purposes of client presentations and client meetings.
- Basic understanding of visual assets needed (i.e., photos, videos/b-roll), as well as how to take them yourself, to accompany media relations outreach and social media promotion.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite (particularly Outlook, Word, SharePoint, PowerPoint and Excel).
- Graphic design skills are a plus.
- Experience using Canva or a desire to learn.
- Experience with PR trade tools such as Cision, BurrellesLuce, TV Eyes, etc.
- Fluency in Spanish (speaking and writing) is a plus.
We offer competitive compensation, a loyal and fun team environment, a strong roster of clients who just happen to be local and national-renowned brands and organizations, and a management team who understands there are other things in your life outside of your job. In addition, we also offer a full suite of additional benefits, including flexible scheduling, stipend for medical benefits, generous PTO and company holidays, as well as paid professional development.
Please note, we are located in San Diego and we have been a remote agency since 2018. Client and media relationships have been conducted in a remote manner and in-person media management has been limited. There may be times we are called upon for coordination of events and/or media interviews in-person and in a safe socially distant manner.
Position is available immediately. Please send cover letter, resume, writing sample, where you've recently earned placements, and salary range to [email protected]
Equal Opportunity: Scatena Daniels provides equal employment opportunity and does not discriminate against an employee or applicant because of age, race, color, religion, gender, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, or other legally protected class status.
Diversity and Inclusion: Scatena Daniels values a diverse and inclusive workforce and is committed to creating a workplace where everyone thrives. We promote an atmosphere in which diversity of people and ideas are welcomed and valued. Diversity includes differences in race, religion, gender identity or expression, age, lifestyle, ethnic background, and sexual orientation, as well as differences in experiences and ideas.