Scatena Daniels specializes in marketing communications for companies and organizations that actively support their community. As a team of award-winning, senior-level communications professionals, we help our clients elevate the good work our clients are doing by sharing positive impact stories about the communities they serve.
Scatena Daniels is seeking a self-driven, entrepreneurial-minded, and talented Senior Account Executive to join our agency. This team member will reside in Southern California and will be responsible for creating and implementing PR and marketing strategies.
The ideal teammate will manage multiple day-to-day client and agency requests focused on media relations, marketing, social media, and client services. This person will also have experience creating and executing PR campaigns across traditional and digital platforms and look at every project/opportunity through a DEI lens.
Experience working in an agency and thriving in a fast-paced and creative environment is desired. Excellent writing, communication (both written/oral) and organizational skills are a must. Must have solid existing media connections, specifically in the San Diego, Orange County, and Los Angeles markets, as well as throughout California. Must have the know-how to quickly develop new connections for clients. Current national media relationships are a plus.
If you are a passionate storyteller with a love for writing with a deep curiosity for philanthropy and corporate companies doing good, this may be the role for you!
What You Will Get to Do:
- Work in tandem with our team to manage day-to-day activities for clients in a variety of industries, but primarily philanthropy and corporate companies that are making a positive change in local communities. Once accustomed to our protocols and clients, the expectation is this position will be a primary lead on accounts, developing strategy and performing implementation.
- Develop and execute strategic communication plans and timelines consistent with overall PR and marketing objectives.
- Ensure media outreach campaigns are executed flawlessly, from top notch media lists and informative pitches, to working directly with media to secure positive placements.
- Write and develop various types of media and marketing content following best practices – press kits, press releases, media alerts, media pitches, fact sheets, bios, case studies, backgrounders, commentary articles, opinion pieces, advertorials, broadcast copy, scripts, social media tool kits, newsletters, community award opportunities and more.
- Secure placements, coordinate, and manage interview opportunities for broadcast, print, and online media outlets, with special attention to digital media platforms such as podcasts, Facebook Live interviews, etc.
- Develop and maintain relationships with influential members of the media, as well as monitor media and seek out speaking opportunities for clients as “experts in their field.”
- Negotiate and manage client expectations and satisfaction.
- Tactical understanding and successful daily/weekly use of primary social media platforms (i.e., Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, LinkedIn, etc.).
- Ability to identify visuals (photos, videos, graphics, etc.) that will be needed to support media pitching and placements; and possess some basic knowledge of video production, including hands-on experience in recording high-res video with a smartphone and basic editing (or the willingness to learn how to do this).
- Ensure commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion is illustrated and reinforced in, and across all agency efforts.
What Will Make You Stand Out:
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Journalism, Marketing, English, or a related field is preferred. Or the equivalent knowledge and/or experience working in PR, marketing, or media fields.
- Minimum of 3-5 years of experience in PR, preferably in an agency setting and/or within an applicable industry.
- Experience working with multiple projects at once while maintaining good organization and meeting deadlines.
- Superb analytical, multitasking, and organizational skills.
- Admirable judgment and problem-solving skills, and the ability to make strategic, sound recommendations to clients, peers, and management in a fast-paced environment with competing deadlines.
- Excellent tactical writing and communication skills combined with time efficiency, news judgement and storytelling capabilities. Knowledge and use of AP Style is important.
- Solid understanding and demonstrated, effective use of primary types of social media channels and digital strategies to enhance client promotion, fundraising efforts, audience development, and event attendance.
- Fearless approach to media relations with demonstrated capability of working with local, regional, and national press to manage story development.
- Understanding of visual assets needed (i.e., photos, videos/b-roll), to accompany media relations outreach and social media promotion.
- Basic graphic design experience or desire to learn. Knowledge of Canva is a plus.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite (particularly Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, and Excel), and an understanding and experience using cloud file storage and document sharing (i.e., Dropbox and Google Workspace).
- Experience with PR / social media trade tools such as Cision, BurrellesLuce, TVEyes, Sprout Social, Harvest, Zoom, etc. (or equivalent).
- Actively participate in recommended professional development and networking opportunities.
- Comfortable and efficient in working from your home office and able to work without distractions.
What We Have to Offer:
We offer competitive compensation, a loyal, fun and collaborative team environment, a strong roster of clients who just happen to be local and national-renowned brands and organizations, and a management team who understands there are other things in your life outside of your job. In addition, we also offer a full suite of additional benefits, including flexible scheduling, stipend for medical benefits, generous PTO, ten (10) company holidays, as well as paid professional development.
We are in sunny San Diego, and we have been a remote agency since 2019 and take pride in having a strong work culture. Client and media relationships have been conducted in a remote manner and in-person media management has been limited. There may be times we are called upon for in-person presence and in a safe socially distant manner.
Position is available immediately. Please send cover letter, resume, writing sample(s), where you've recently earned placements, and salary range to [email protected]
The description above is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the employee assigned to this classification. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required.
Equal Opportunity: Scatena Daniels provides equal employment opportunity and does not discriminate against an employee or applicant because of age, race, color, religion, gender, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, or other legally protected class status.
Diversity and Inclusion: Scatena Daniels values a diverse and inclusive workforce and is committed to creating a workplace where everyone thrives. We promote an atmosphere in which diversity of people and ideas are welcomed and valued. Diversity includes differences in race, religion, gender identity or expression, age, lifestyle, ethnic background, and sexual orientation, as well as differences in experiences and ideas.