About Scatena Daniels Communications
Scatena Daniels is a fast-paced SoCal agency that specializes in strategic communications for the following industries: higher education, healthcare, and nonprofit organizations in Southern California and across the U.S. Together, we amplify stories that matter to attract attention, build credibility, and inspire action. No two clients are alike. We champion each with creative communications and purposeful connections to drive results. Several industry-leading organizations and media outlets recognize our campaigns and individual accomplishments. We are active members and hold leadership positions in various organizations committed to supporting and fostering diversity in the industries of media, communications, and philanthropy.
Benefits & Features
The Senior Publicist position will report to our Founding Partners, Arika Daniels and Denise Scatena, and will work closely and take direction from fellow team members who lead a variety of accounts. Several industry-leading organizations and media outlets recognize our campaigns and individual accomplishments, including San Diego Business Journal, PRSA San Diego/Imperial Counties, North County Philanthropy Council, and Health Care Communicators of Southern California. Scatena Daniels is a women-owned and minority-owned business.
Compensation & Benefits
- Competitive compensation – Annual salary: $64,000-$70,000
- 37.5 hour work weeks
- Medical benefit stipend
- 5 paid sick days
- 11 paid holidays and 1 floating holiday annually
- Summer Fridays
- Company-wide paid holiday flex closure from December 26 to 31, typically 5 (+/- based on calendar) days of additional time off.
- Parking/transit/internet/phone stipend
- Generous PTO
- Paid professional development
- A loyal, fun and collaborative team environment.
- A strong roster of clients who just happen to be local- and national-renowned brands and organizations.
- A management team that understands there are other things in your life outside of your job.
- Access to a beautiful co-working space in Downtown San Diego, which provides breakfast, snacks, and weekly happy hours.
This role is primarily remote, with 1-2 in-office days weekly. While remote, this position will support as necessary our clients and media relations team in the field for media interviews, events, meetings, etc. Our office is located in Downtown San Diego in the Industrious workspace with our own office area.
The Senior Publicist will work within our agency to assist with earned media outreach, social media management, and content creation for our various clients. The Senior Publicist will support strategic communications efforts to amplify the presence of our clients in philanthropic, development, special events, and community engagement efforts. As a member of a very respected PR team, the Senior Publicist will be responsible for executing public relations and communications campaigns, whether it is actively pitching reporters, editors, and producers to secure media opportunities or communicating directly with target audiences through social media platforms. The Senior Publicist will have a creative flair in writing accurate news releases, media advisories, blog articles, social media posts, and other important content to attract the attention of the media and the public to share the amazing stories of our clients. They will also monitor and analyze media coverage to measure campaign success and will have the ability to adjust strategy as needed to meet campaign goals and client expectations.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Execute PR campaigns for clients, including identifying key media opportunities, developing story ideas, and pitching media outlets.
- Manage media relations opportunities, including cultivating relationships with journalists and editors, responding to media inquiries, and arranging interviews and media appearances for clients – virtually and on-site.
- Write news releases, media advisories, media pitches, and other communications materials to support client campaigns.
- Possesses experience in selecting photos and videos to accompany media outreach materials. Recording high-quality videos and photos for publicity materials is a plus.
- Monitor and analyze media coverage of clients to measure the success of public relations campaigns and adjust strategies as needed.
- Participate in client meetings and provide regular updates on media relations activities and campaign results.
- Support best-practice communications and marketing policies, standards, and guidelines and collaborate with our clients to ensure compliance and accuracy.
- Be good stewards of client resources and ensure projects are delivered on time and within budget.
- Proven track record of securing media coverage for clients, in the San Diego market and across Southern California. Current media connections and relationships required – and have a “hustler” mentality to bring opportunities to fruition.
- Knowledge and understanding of the nonprofit/philanthropic sector with hands-on experience in public relations and strategic communications.
- Experience supporting the marketing and communication elements of major events and announcements such as galas, fundraising campaigns, groundbreaking and opening events, etc.
- Ability to identify and communicate human interest stories in an authentic and respectful manner.
- Excited to work in a fast-paced environment while maintaining a professional attitude.
- A proactive multi-tasker, with the ability to prioritize and meet numerous deadlines.
- Ability to integrate and execute social media into public relations campaigns.
- Minimum of 3-5 years of experience in public relations, preferably within an agency setting.
- Strong written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Strong attention to detail and ability to deliver high-quality work under tight deadlines.
- Knowledge of current media outreach trends, digital strategies, and PESO tactics.
- Willing to process constructive feedback and quickly integrate it into daily workflow and client management.
- Bilingual proficiency is a plus.
The position is available immediately. Please send the following to email@example.com:
- Cover letter – Tell us about yourself and how you’ll make a difference for the clients and communities we serve.
- Resume or Link to your LinkedIn profile.
- Link to an Online Portfolio (optional).
The description above is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the employee assigned to this classification. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required.
Equal Opportunity: Scatena Daniels provides equal employment opportunity and does not discriminate against an employee or applicant because of age, race, color, religion, gender, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, or other legally protected class status.
Diversity and Inclusion: Scatena Daniels values a diverse and inclusive workforce and is committed to creating a workplace where everyone thrives. We promote an atmosphere in which diversity of people and ideas are welcomed and valued. Diversity includes differences in race, religion, gender identity or expression, age, lifestyle, ethnic background, and sexual orientation, as well as differences in experiences and ideas.